Companies are getting really creative with virtual team building. Companies are holding virtual happy hours, wine tastings, cooking classes, jeopardy games, and more to keep their organizational culture healthy while their employees are working from home. Most of the team building activities that you have led face-to-face in the past can be conducted online. Tools like Zoom even have the functionality that allows you to use break-out rooms so you can host smaller group discussions for brainstorming sessions and then report back to the larger group.
LMD recently conducted a virtual activity, “What’s Your Theme Song?” This is a very easy and engaging team building activity that your organization can try. Here are the steps:
- Select a host to facilitate the session and schedule a virtual meeting.
- In advance of the meeting, the host asks each team member to select a personal theme song. The song should represent their individual characteristics and persona.
- Team members privately send their theme songs to the host.
- The host builds a team playlist in Spotify using the selected songs.
- During the virtual meeting, the host plays a snippet of each song and asks the team to guess which song belongs to which colleague.
- Each person shares why they selected their particular song.
I’m a firm believer in the value of personal theme songs and the use of music to convey personal attributes. Personas help us understand others—and the self-identified theme songs are a good way to share stories and connect with others. Plus, at the end of the activity, you’ll have a group playlist in Spotify that can be reused in meetings and at events.